A goldsmith uses a variety of tools to make or repair jewelry and other items made of gold, silver, and other precious metals. Some of these tools include:
- File: A file is a long, narrow tool with a rough surface used to shape and smooth precious metals. Goldsmiths use files in different sizes and shapes depending on the type of work they are doing.
- Hammer: A hammer is an important tool for goldsmiths to shape and work precious metals. Goldsmiths use hammers in different sizes and weights depending on how much force they need.
- Saw: A saw is a tool used to cut and shape precious metals. Goldsmiths use saws with fine teeth to make fine cuts, and saws with coarser teeth to make coarser cuts.
- Pliers: pliers are a tool with two legs that are used to grab and hold things. Goldsmiths use pliers to shape and work precious metals and to grip and move small objects.
- Vise: A vise is a tool used to hold objects while they are being worked on. Goldsmiths use vises to hold precious metals while forging or engraving.
- Tweezers: tweezers are a small tool with two long, narrow legs used to grasp and move small objects. Goldsmiths use tweezers to grip and attach small gemstones.
These are just a few of the tools goldsmiths use. There are many other tools and equipment needed for the work of a goldsmith.